Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pink Trees. No Santa.

To preserve my sanity, yes...there is little hope left, I took two walks today. The weather was absolutely perfect, and at that moment nothing was more soothing than the sound of my boots crunching the pink-orange leaves that Autumn so graciously presented to me. As I breathed in the pre-rain air and my heart was almost happy, it donned on me that fifteen Anglo-Saxon scholars were at home waiting to "converse" with me over coffee. We sat around the dining room table, and one by one they molested my brain with their thoughts on gender, monstrosity, knowledge, etc. Soon I will incorporate their thoughts and become one of them, as I try desperately to hold on to my own.

Authority, check.

Thesis, check.

Use,...ch..eh..ckk.

How artificial. Authority replaces preference, coffee replaces passion, and hallucination replaces sleep. That's ok. Grandpa once said, "It will be Christmas soon." But at Costco the witch beat Santa. She claimed they don't belong in the same aisle. Santa can't ride his sled with a broken arm and a black eye, and Rudolph just got a DUI for drunk flying...honestly though, can you blame him? I mean, his job sucks.

4 comments:

  1. "How artificial. Authority replaces preference, coffee replaces passion, and hallucination replaces sleep."

    Completely. What an apt description for this assignment.

    I'd also like to add:

    Spending time with family and friends during Thanksgiving is strictly forbidden. (Well, for me. I'll be doing what you're doing right now over the holiday).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention Thankgiving within itself can be a punishment! You know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mommie Dearest made no reference to "Bud" or "Nancy" this year.

    Now let's talk about those American Indians...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sarah, that sentence is brilliant. You've perfectly described graduate school.

    ReplyDelete